HOLAMICKEY

It is all about people

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hatboro, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, September 25, 2006

KINDERGARTEN

I did something today I have never done before. I picked up a child from kindergarten. Their family car was in the shop and I was in the area of the elementary school so it worked out. I know you are thinking... really, it's no big deal. But really it was very interesting. I parked in a line of cars waiting for the kids - I was right behind a mother in a mini van. When the kids came out, the teacher asked little Lauren if I was her daddy. Could it be that I am old enough to have a child in kindergarten? Never mind that question. I was amused by watching the mothers interact. I don't pretend to understand but there is somesort of unidentifiable connection between them. So now I am sitting there waiting for the children thinking about being a parent... and what a privilege it is. As I left the school I'm thinking... were those thoughts the beginning of...(laugh here). As I watched the children line up at the door... I wondered if parents ever think... maybe I should trade little "steve" for that boy right there. Oh you say that is horrible... I am sure it doesn't happen to parents but it sure does with kids - most kids have thought "if only I could have 'Bobby's" parents, then..." Usually of course this comes during a time of "correction." Anyway, I am very happy for having my parents. My devotions last week reflected on One Father that has never wanted to trade us or even take a day off! Back to kindergarten -I remember a book by Robert Fulghum that was titled: "All I really needed to know I learned in kindergarten." Here is his list.

  • Share everything
  • Play fair
  • Put things back where you found them
  • Clean up your own mess
  • Say sorry when you hurt somebody
  • Take a nap every afternoon
  • When you go out into the world, watch for traffic, hold hands and stick together
  • Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and paint and sing and dance and work and play everyday some

"Take any one of those items and extrapolate it into sophisticated adult terms and apply it to your family life or your work or government or your world and it holds true and clear and firm."Fulghum

Nomatter how old you are, these still make for a happier world- well I am off to study for my greek test and try out of a few of the things I learned in kindergarten.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting essay there,makes for good reading. You should write more often Smike.

11:39 AM, September 26, 2006  
Blogger Call Me Crazy said...

I love that book already and I haven't even read it. Interesting thoughts those are. I really enjoy those experiences that put me into a different world kind of like what you were describing. Have a great weekend.

3:23 PM, September 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so funny how, we as young single people, rarely think about parenthood, when, someday, our kids will be our entire lives. Being a parent is such a rewarding responsibility that God has given to us!

8:41 PM, September 29, 2006  
Blogger holamickey said...

The book is well worth the time - I actually hope to have it in my library sometime soon. Thanks for your thoughts!

6:11 PM, October 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems as though I should really buy this book and read it....after all I am going to be student teaching in kindergarten this next semester and I would hate for my students to grow up, find this book, read it and think to themselves, 'I never learned this stuff in my kindergarten class'.

6:14 PM, October 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This book is amazing and I actually love all his books and think that I just might own then all if I could find them in my maze of books...I love the comments on kids. It is so interesting to get a glimpse into a world that we don't ususally live in. I just got a kitten and am feeling very maternal and like a mom and it is weird. It is such a responsibility to have a life form dependent on you. Kinda freaky, but amazing all at the same time. Oh, and if you want to borrow the kindergarten book Micheal you can. That is when I find it. :)

9:52 PM, November 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home