HOLAMICKEY

It is all about people

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hatboro, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

ON SABBATH
When I am not obligated otherwise on a Friday evening, I invite members of my church family over for a spaghetti dinner.  The tradition is to gather around the table, after reading a Psalm of blessing to God, we take turns "blessing" the person to our right.
After everyone left, this past Friday night, I found a note left by one of the little girls who had been there.  This makes my heart do the "pitter-patter".

On Sunday it will take all of 30 seconds for some companies to spend 3 million.  This year, NBC admits it has been more difficult this year to sell all the advertising spots for the Super Bowl but think they will have them done just in time.  Let’s review:  Someone is willing to pay 3 million for 30 seconds of your attention. Okay so maybe that’s not the price tag for just you, or just me.  I realize that the 3 million is spread out over almost 100 million viewers.  But even still, that means someone is paying $35 dollars for 30 seconds of my time.  This kind of price tag is actually supported Biblically.

God seeking to place a value on our attention gave us not a castle on a hill, or the latest and greatest, but instead gave us what transcends time, time itself.  The Sabbath, given to us on our first full day of existence was a gift, a mansion of time. In Isaiah 58:13, God calls for our riveted attention on the Sabbath and then in verse 14 tells us the value of this time:

Then you shall take delight in the LORD,

and I will make you ride upon the heights of the earth;

I will feed you with the heritage of your ancestor Jacob,

for the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

Dr. Richard Davidson, professor at the Adventist Theological Seminary, points out that the word “delight” used in Isaiah is a Hebrew word used only to describe the adoration of princes and princesses. 

The Sabbath, a gift of time, was the way God thought to honor who He considers royalty.

 

  

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can hear Jesus saying those same words when we spend time with Him at the end of the day, or at anytime of day actually. I am sure his heart goes pitter patter for us. Thanks for sharing Micheal. Blessings~Gwen

8:24 PM, January 29, 2009  
Blogger Karlee said...

What a great reminder of how eager God is to spend time with me. He even honors me as royalty!

Very cute note from the little girl. That is definatley a heart-warmer.

3:09 PM, January 30, 2009  
Blogger Staci said...

Funny that you should make a post on the delights of the Sabbath. I've been thinking of doing the same. Have you read the book "From Sundown to Sundown"? Powerful! This last week I wrote a Bible study called "A Day of Delight" for non-SDAs on principles for Sabbath keeping so they can begin experiencing the delights the Sabbath is meant to bring. I got tired of none of our lesson sets addressing how to keep the Sabbath. I'd be happy to email it to you if you would like it.

Hope your Sabbath is delightful!

6:14 PM, January 30, 2009  
Blogger Paeter said...

That is a really neat thought...made me stop and ponder. Couple that to Christ's sacrifice and God's longsuffering and I'm left with 'what amazing grace!'

9:50 PM, February 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home