HOLAMICKEY

It is all about people

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hatboro, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, August 27, 2007

MOUNTAINS, RIVERS, AND SPIRITUAL LESSONS

Last night I slept while jetting across the country, and true to its name I have red eyes today. I spent a little over a week in the Northwest with my family - alot of fun to be there with my family and friends. I had to climb while I was out there. So I took on Mt. Theilson, which punches the blue ski at 9,182 feet above sea level (it still had snow on the north side). The last 15 minutes of the climb (the very top) is actually a rock face. And the top is really no bigger than a "normal size" bathroom. There is a steel can in the rocks where people leave notes for fellow climbers - Here is what I wrote: "Lord, by Your favor You have made my mountain stand strong; You hid Your face, and I was troubled... You have turned my mourning into dancing... for the purpose that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent." (Ps. 30:7,11,12) I had read this verse for my devotions the week before - God challenges us to take on our "mountains," to move them by faith, but sometimes He stands on the other side holding the mountain in place in order that we will have to persist. But in the end, He will turn our mourning into dancing and the ultimate purpose will be songs of praise to Him. Don't be discouraged if God doesn't allow your mountain to move right away, persist... and prepare to dance.
This was Sabbath morning at a church campout - this guy reminded me that there are times to just dig in and enjoy... don't worry about the jelly on your face.

This is my mom and I after a hike to some falls.

From behind the falls - some serious shower pressure.

I spent a day with my family white-water rafting down the Rogue River.
The trip was a blast and I had the best "mates" but I also was reminded of life: There are rapids when everything is going without effort but most of the time is spent just putting one paddle in front of the other. But the mundane is exactly where God shows up - "mercies are new every morning."

7 Comments:

Blogger Trav'ler Jenn said...

Dancing on the mountain tops, are you? After the climb, or the 'tough stuff' the top is always worth the dance. And the grin that was plastered to your face:)

6:07 PM, August 27, 2007  
Blogger kimberella said...

Those falls look beautiful. Sounds like you had a great time...glad to hear it :)

4:02 AM, August 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely forgot that you grew up in the Northwest (though it explains so much:). Looks like you had a great time, and conquered yet another mountain. Be blessed as you continue your climbing, bro!

10:10 AM, August 30, 2007  
Blogger Gwen said...

So glad you had some family time! Praying for you daily and that the Lord will always be near and clear to you! We love and miss you Michael!

1:27 PM, August 30, 2007  
Blogger holamickey said...

NNFF - I was dancing on that mountain top - it was cold. But it was so significant to me - I had the grin.
Kim - My favorite teacher at GAA (is that what they call it :)

Pastor Deibert, when we persist, He gives us mountains - is that right?!
Gwen - what a blessing to hear from you. Thank you for your words.

3:50 PM, August 30, 2007  
Blogger Autumn said...

Michael! The Northwest is beautiful indeed! I am thankful God created a spot like this on earth so we can enjoy it! Glad you could spend time with family! Isn't it great?

5:44 PM, September 03, 2007  
Blogger skaMEDIA said...

hey, it was good to see you too - glad we all got to hang out! don't get too worn out during field school... :) I leave this evening for the UK, so I'll try to post pics and stories as I can.

1:39 PM, September 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home